Emmerdale Rape Hell
Victim was assaulted by former soap star
We were contacted by the man to find out if anyone else had also been abused by the same person.
The victim asked to run his story anonymously in the hope it would encourage more people to come forward.
The Sunday Mirror ran the story on its front page.
Read the full story:
My Emmerdale Rape Hell
Police are investigating an ex-Emmerdale actor over claims he sexually assaulted a teenage boy.
The star faces allegations that he raped the boy at his home. He is said to have lured the alleged victim there by falsely promising he would get to meet famous people.
Police investigating the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal have taken lengthy statements from a man who claims he was attacked when he was 13 years old.
He is said to have told detectives that he was walking to an amateur drama production at the village where he grew up on the day of the alleged rape.
The actor is claimed to have pulled up in his car near the venue, approached the youngster and asked whether he recognised him.
The man said he told the television star he did know who he was.
He claimed the actor then pulled out a £5 note and said he would be throwing a party at his house that evening and it would be attended by famous actors and several agents.
The man said he got into the actor’s car and was taken to a house.
There he claims he was taken upstairs, pinned down by three men and assaulted by the actor.
The alleged victim told police he then blacked out, saying he finally came round when he was thrown out of the house naked.
He said that his clothes were thrown out behind him then the door of the house was slammed shut.
According to his account, he then walked home shocked and scared about what he had allegedly just endured.
He claims he has never previously spoken about the incident, which he said took place in the early 1970s, and that he has struggled with relationships ever since.
A West Yorkshire Police spokesman confirmed that an investigation was under way. He said: “We have received an allegation of child sexual offences from the 1970s.
“Enquiries are on-going.”
Emmerdale, which is set in a fictional Yorkshire Dales village, is the UK’s second longest running TV soap and is shown every week day on ITV1. It regularly attracts an audience of around 10 million viewers.
A source said: “News of this investigation will send shockwaves through the Emmerdale set.”
Emmerdale is not the first soap to be rocked by sex allegations over the past year.
This week Bill Roache, who has played Coronation Street’s Ken Barlow for six decades, was charged with sexually assaulting four girls, the youngest aged 11 or 12.
It came a month after the soap veteran, who played Ken Barlow for six decades, was charged with twice raping a school girl in 1967.
Roache, who has strenuously denied the rape allegations, is one of the best-known actors to be held over child sex allegations in the aftermath of the Savile scandal.
Stuart Hall, the former BBC TV presenter, is due to be sentenced later this month after he admitted indecently assaulting 13 girls in the Sixties, Seventies and Eighties. One was aged just nine when she was molested by the Radio Five Live football commentator and It’s a Knockout host.
Bill Roache’s fellow Coronation Street cast member Michael Le Vell, who played mechanic Kevin Webster, has been taken off air after being charged with 19 sexual offences against a child, including rape, indecent assault and sexual activity. He denies any wrong-doing
Police have been inundated with calls in recent months following revelations about Savile’s depraved behaviour
The net has widened to include several comedians, actors, TV presenters, pop stars and other entertainers.
It is claimed that many people who were allegedly abused are finding the courage to come forward because the police are taking a new approach and giving potential victims confidence that their complaints will be treated seriously.
A number of high-profile figures from the entertainment industry have been arrested as part of the investigation, which is now being run in three strands.
These are allegations against Savile, allegations involving Savile and others, and allegations involving others.
The dozen arrests so far include those of singer and TV star Rolf Harris, convicted paedophile Gary Glitter, radio DJ Dave Lee Travis and comedian Freddie Starr.
Veteran comedian Jimmy Tarbuck was arrested at his home in south-west London last month in connection with a historic child sex abuse allegation.
PR guru Max Clifford was last month charged with 11 indecent assaults allegedly committed between 1966 and 1985. The 70-year-old has vowed to clear his name.
A former Radio 1 DJ, Chris Denning, was moved from his home by police last week after the 72-year-old was the latest to be arrested and bailed.
All those people arrested have denied any wrong-doing.
Sell us your story
Our expertise and contacts in newspapers, TV, and magazines gets you the best deal.
Why use us?
Easy Way To Sell Stories
Best Prices Paid